Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Blog #5- Simple Machines @ home

We had an assignment to search our house and find an example on each simple machine that we use daily without even knowing it.
This is a bottle opener that is a lever, I found it in the drawer in my kitchen. It makes opening bottles easier by applying an upward force.

This is a a screw that fits under the category of screw. I found it in my dad's shop along with many other screws. It makes it easier to go into a surface by transferring the downward force of the screwdriver into a turning force.

This is a tire off of my dad's John Deere 4020 which is a wheel and axle. I found this in my dad's barn attached to the tractor. It makes it easier to move because it has the ability to roll surfaces. This is a pulley found on a grain dryer. i found it attached to the front of the dryer in my dad's barn. It makes it easier to dry grain because the pulley is attached to a fan which drys he grain.This is a ramp which is an example of an inclined plane. I found it in the same barn I found the wheel and axle and pulley. It makes work easier by increasing the distance the distance an object must go but with a further distance it requires less force.



This is a chef's knife that is also a wedge i found it in my kitchen's knife rack. A knife makes work easier by taking a downward force into a diagonal left and right force to make it easier to cut through things.


It is can be really easy to go through life without knowing what what simple machine really make it up. Next time you use something stop and think to yourself what simple machine is in this.

3 comments: